* 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 medium onions, chopped
* 4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
* 1 pound kale, coarsely chopped
* Coarse salt and pepper
* 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzos (chick peas), drained and rinsed
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1 pound diced chorizo, casing removed
* 1 quart chicken broth
Heat oil in a deep pot over medium high heat. Add onions, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add garlic, bay leaves, and kale to the pot. Cover pot and wilt greens 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add beans, tomatoes, chorizo, and broth to the pot and bring soup to a full boil. Reduce heat back to medium and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer.
Serve soup with hunks of crusty bread and butter.